Thursday, October 14, 2010

Artist Statement for the Travelling Artist's Guild

Paper, pencils, coloring books, crayons, scissors, glue, movie magazines/movie star scrapbooks -- All remembered from my childhood, bringing me much happiness and joy. Art in grade school, junior and senior high school... so very important to my self-esteem and development as an artist. Sixteen years old and finding a job working for a printer: typesetting and paste-up artist... more cutting, pasting and design. Marriage, children, a variety of jobs, metaphysical
studies, dream group, therapy, preceding my path to individuation -- College: psychology, painting, drawing,three dimensional art, materials and techniques, clay sculpting, internships... all new experiences that opened up expression of the self. Art Therapy found after so many
years, which I pursued energetically to earn a degree, with hope that I could assist other people to express themselves in a healing fashion -- followed by teaching, then private practice. Portraits and collage are my favored subjects; collage and mixed media my favorite way to express my style. Astrology, tarot, button collecting, tap dancing, antiques and old "stuff" make up my other interests that poke my imagination. I retired two years ago and keep busy making
art in my studio. I also make art to swap with on-line friends/art groups and am actively involved in local art associations and partake in gallery exhibits. And, of course, my husband, Bob, and family and friends fit in there somewhere!

No comments: